Nothing is better than living in Texas, however we do sometimes have issues when the weather acts like its from Canada. Given the last 2 years we wanted to make a general list addressing what to do if your house floods, what to look for in a restoration company, and how to help prevent frozen pipes. As always keep Capsule portable storage in mind for your pack outs for any restoration or mitigation needs.
What do I do if my house floods?
If your house floods, it is important to take immediate action to protect yourself and your property. Here are some steps to take:
- Evacuate the area if it is unsafe to stay in your home.
- Turn off the main power and gas supply to your home to prevent electrical fires and gas leaks.
- Contact your insurance company to report the flood and begin the claims process.
- Document the damage by taking photos and videos of the affected areas. The more the better!
- Remove as much water as possible using pumps, mops, and towels.
- Dry out the affected areas as soon as possible to prevent mold growth.
- Contact a professional restoration company to assess the damage and begin the cleanup and repair process.
- Look for help from local disaster response organization if needed.
How do I choose a restoration company?
It is important to act quickly to minimize the damage and to contact your insurance company as soon as possible, so they can take the necessary steps to help you.
Check out our YouTube page and see what our Capsule and delivery machine can do.
Choosing a restoration company after a flood can be a difficult task, but it is important to select a reputable and experienced company to ensure that your home is properly restored. Here are some tips on how to choose a restoration company:
- Look for a company that is certified by the Institute of Inspection Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC) or other professional organizations.
- Research the company’s reputation by reading customer reviews and checking their ratings with the Better Business Bureau (BBB).
- Verify that the company has the necessary licenses and insurance to perform the work.
- Ask for references and contact them to get an idea of the company’s work quality and customer service.
- Check if the company has experience working with your insurance company.
- Get a detailed estimate of the work to be done, including the cost and timeline for completion.
- Make sure to ask questions and discuss your concerns with the company before hiring them.
By following these tips, you can ensure that you choose a reputable and experienced restoration company that can properly restore your home and help you get your life back to normal after a flood.
How to I prevent my house pipes from freezing?
- There are several steps you can take to prevent your pipes from freezing during cold weather:
- Insulate your pipes: Insulating pipes in unheated areas of your home, such as the attic, garage, or crawlspace, can help to keep the pipes warm.
- Seal drafts: Seal any drafts in your home, such as those around windows and doors, to help keep the warm air inside.
- Keep the heat on: Keep the heat on in your home, even when you are away, to prevent the temperature from dropping too low.
- Open cabinet doors: Open the doors to cabinets that contain pipes, such as those in the kitchen and bathroom, to allow warm air to circulate around the pipes.
- Let faucets drip: During extremely cold weather, let the faucets drip slightly to keep water moving through the pipes and prevent freezing.
- Keep the garage door closed: If the pipes in your garage are exposed, keep the garage door closed to keep the cold air out.
- Keep the thermostat set to the same temperature during the day and at night.
- Have a professional winterize your pipes if you are going to be away for an extended period time.